Tuesday 9 June 2009

A lucky escape

I feel extremely lucky to have survived this terrible car accident. I do not recall what happend at all as I sustained head injuries and facial lacerations due to my head going through the windscreen. However it appears that it was entirely my fault as I misjudged the nasty double-bend on the A46 near our cottage (between Nailsworth & Stroud). Apparently the road was closed off & I was taken by ambulance to Gloucester Royal Hospital. How many accidents have we witnessed in this place since moving here 13 years or so ago...& now me.

In addition I also suffered concussion (my head smashed into the windscreen) and severe multiple fractures to my left ankle resulting in the second of two operations under general anaesthetic (the first to clean up my face and remove all the glass).



Thanks to all the people who visited me in hospital & who sent cards - I really appreciated this during those endless, lonesome days & nights.



Luckily I was able to keep myself occupied thanks to a fellow patient lending me his 3G Mobile Dongle for my laptop.




I suffered a sever fracture on the ankle joint which resulted in a plate and nine two-inch screws...



The car, unfortunately, is a write off but I've already received the payout - more than I shelled out for it in the first place! And my protected NCB...ahhh!


My head hit the windscreen



I was cut out of the car


And because I stayed on the NHS ward, BUPA are paying me £500 (£50 a day). Crazy...

Now at home mending. Still taking the morphine and self injecting against DVT. Beginning of July will return to hospital for a check-up and then if all's well the physio starts! Don't think I'll be skiing next season though....!

4 comments:

Scott Dobson said...

Lucky escape espcially as you can't remember a thing. Looking at the photos it's clear that the 10 Years Younger work has improved things also :-) Get well soon buddy.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dork...can I have a shot of Sweet Sister Morphine?...stick the Stones on and kick back...I've calculated that the car parking fees, at the Hoppo, for your physio comes to 10K though!!!!;-)
Get Well Hoon MAJO xxx

JAG on SIP, VoIP and IP PBX said...

Hi James,

Lucky escape and the next blog down looks just as bad! - crashed aircraft???

Do I dare to fly or get a lift with you? - only if it is in Amsterdam ;-)

Get well soon from all at pbxnsip.

Regards
Jonathan

marie said...

hope you feel better james. regards to everybody! take care!